Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Another one of Life's important questions... Answered.


Ever ask yourself some of those important questions in life? 

Like: Why does your nose run, and your feet smell?


Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?


Why are there Braille signs on drive-up ATM's?


Why isn't phonetic spelled the way it sounds?


I don’t know. 


Really. I don’t. But if any of you know the answer to any of these, please feel free to share.


I like asking questions. I used to do it for a living, and I’ve been told I still do it a lot. What can I say – chalk it up to habit, and being inquisitive by nature. According to my mother, one of my first words was, "why". That  probably explains a lot. 


Someone asked me a question the other day that got me thinking. I know. That can be dangerous, but I like questions that make me think. So what was the question, you ask? 


Is it ever okay to put your feet against, on, or over the seat in front of me in a movie theater. 


(Bonus points for the specificity of the question. I like that too). 


Chances are, whenever you walk into a half-filled theater you’ll see at least 10-20% of the people there with their feet either resting against the seats, or fully draped over the seats in front of them. Am I right? In the spirit of full disclosure, I LOVE movies! They are my passion, and the movie theater auditorium is my cathedral. I should probably say I think it would be outright selfish, self-centered, and disrespectful to rest my feet against, or on, or drape them over the seat in front of me in my cathedral.  


But that wouldn’t be honest. 


In most cases, I’m all for it. 


What. I've got long legs. 


I don’t care what the teenage usher tells you, if there aren’t people in your immediate vicinity and you feel like throwing your leg over the seat in front of you – I say GO for it! In fact, I say get settled in, push back on your seat until you’re able to assume the position that feels the closest to the one you normally assume when you’re using your couch and coffee table at home while you're at it. 


Don’t act surprised. 


You paid $18 (or more) to watch whatever it is you're watching on the big screen with the sound system booming. I think you deserve to feel good while you’re doing it.  That is, as long as it doesn’t affect the good time of others.


And this is where this question gets a little complicated. Because unfortunately, there ARE some leg-drapers/resters out there without any common sense or manners who give the rest of us an assholian reputation (if that’s not a word it should be). 


So, lets go over some situations in which it is absolutely not okay under ANY circumstances for you to rest your feet against, or on or drap over the seat in front of you.


1. There is someone sitting directly in front of you.


DUH! 


2. The theater is filling up and it’s clear new arrivals are interested in sitting where your feet are. 


DUH!


3. There is someone trying to make their way out of the aisle and they need you to move your freaking leg.


Say it with me... 

DUH!

Those are all no-brainers. Right? But what if it’s more complicated than that? Is it okay to rest your feet on the seat in front of you if there is someone sitting diagonal from where you are now in the same half-filled theater?  


First of all, I'm going to say what the rest of you are thinking right now. Whoever is sitting down on a diagonal like that is a weirdo considering how many quality open seats there are still left - but that's beside the point. I'm going to say yes - The weirdo IS allowed to put one foot on the chair in front of him/her. Why? (Told you I like that question). Because the other movie patron is sitting on a diagonal, the weirdo is well within his/her rights to place a foot on the outside of the seat in front, allowing for half a seat buffer and maintaining an appropriate personal space buffer zone. 


So there you go... 


Another one of Life's important questions... Answered. I know you feel so much better now.


You're welcome. ;-)







No comments:

Post a Comment