Monday, March 24, 2014

A few things I've learned as a "Grown-up"


Sometimes it’s hard to breathe.
Breathing has been on my mind a lot lately, because it’s been hard for me to do - literally. It's a LONG story. Trust me when I say rib injuries. NOT an experience you want to have.
So I went to have some body work done today, to try to make breathing a little easier...the literal kind of breathing anyway. As I gingerly tried to lower myself down onto the table and find a comfortable way to “rest”, I looked up. Someone had written “BREATHE” in a black sharpie on the ceiling. I wish I had my camera with me so I could've taken a picture. I laughed even though that hurts too. Since I've already been thinking about breathing so much lately, I figured this was just another sign from the Universe to put down some other thoughts about what I've learned as a "grown-up":  

  • Breathing can be difficult – literally and figuratively.
  • Nothing sucks more than that moment in an argument you realize you're wrong.  
  • If you like the outfit on a mannequin, BUY the outfit on the mannequin. Don't try to create the same look yourself. You won't. 
  • Kay Jewelers is WRONG. On any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.
  • There is a great need for a sarcasm font.
  • Eight hours of continuous,
  • unmedicated sleep is one of life’s simple pleasures. Actually... eight hours of medicated sleep is pretty sweet too.
  • You never know when the moment will hit you. But inevitably, there is a moment each day at work that you aren’t going to do anything else productive in the day.
  • If you worry less about what people think of you, you can learn a lot about them. You won't leave as many conversations wondering what just happened. 
  • "Do not machine wash or tumble dry" means you will never wash it. EVER.
  • Even under ideal conditions you may still have a hard time finding your car keys, or your cell phone, or be able to pin the tail on a donkey. But you can
  • always find the snooze button - in the dark, from three feet away… in a little over a second.
  • soul mate is an earned title... earned over time.
  • You will miss out on some soul mates. This also goes for friendships. There will be unforgettable people you cross paths with. You may share an amazing conversation...a magical evening... or a few days... or a few weeks with them. Now they live half-way across the world, and you will never see or talk to them again. That's just how life works sometimes. That really sucks. 
  • Never buy those too-small jeans on the expectation that you will soon lose weight.
  • The top five amazing foods that fight aging are all fruits and vegetables so just eat more fruits and vegetables already.
  • There is no magical list of eight new ab moves coming out next month, or a list of 10 things you can do that is going to make your life perfect even though the magazines and websites will publish them over-and-over again and I will probably write more of these kind of lists FOR the same publications too... because paychecks. 
  • There ARE no grown-ups. Everyone is winging it… some just do it more confidently than others. 



So you might as well laugh for a few minutes... even when it hurts. Forget all those "grown-up" worries from time-to-time... go outside. And breathe. 
You'll feel better. 



No comments:

Post a Comment