Sunday, September 8, 2013

The needs of the many... You know the rest

Once upon a time there lived a man. 
This man was a dreamer. 
This man had hopes and visions of a better future. 
A future built upon true equality and mutual respect. 
This man was named, Gene Roddenberry.

Gene had an idea, and he wanted to share that idea... and his dreams for a better future. He did that, through a television series called Star Trek. 

Cue the music, and say it with me, everyone...

"Space. The final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. It's five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before." 

On September 8, 1966 America heard these words for the first time when Star Trek made its debut on NBC at 8:30 pm. I wonder if Gene Roddenberry had any idea of what he was starting when his scrappy, low-budget series aired for the first time 47 years ago. Could he imagine it would spin off four live-action series. An animated series. Toys. Games. Comics. Movies. A language (Klingon). Did he know the influence it would have on popular culture, scientists, designers, engineers? Did he know the world he created would influence technological innovations - like cell phones and plasma tv's? 

I admit it. I'm a die hard Trekkie. I'm not afraid to let my red shirt geek flag fly. I grew up in a home with a dad who talked about tribbles and transporters. Who told us our Tang was "Tranya". And quoted pearls of Star Trek wisdom at opportune moments.

All your people must learn before you can reach for the stars.-Kirk, "The Gamesters of Triskelion"

Change is the essential process of all existence.-Spock

After a time, you may find that "having" is not so pleasing a thing, 
after all, as "wanting." It is not logical, but it is often true. -Spock, "Amok Time" 


A little suffering is good for the soul. -Kirk, "The Corbomite Maneuver"


Thanks a lot, Captain Kirk. My dad was a particular fan of that one... ;-)


Hey. Wisdom is wisdom no matter who says it. I love all things Trek, and am a big fan of the Next Generation in particular (especially you, Wil Wheaton). But there's just something about the 1960's series that draws me in.  I'm not sure why really, maybe I prefer the way Kirk handled situations with his fists, unlike Picard who used a more diplomatic approach. Maybe it's Khaaaaaaan! Maybe its the cheesy effects. Maybe it's The Gorn - one of the worst/funniest fight sequences ever filmed. It scared the crap out of me as a kid. (Yes. This is currently my screensaver on my phone). 


Maybe it's just based on the fact that Spock was completely badass! 

Whatever the case may be, one thing that is undeniable is the legacy the show created. To all my fellow Trekkies I say... Live Long and Prosper. And Happy Birthday, Star Trek!!!  \\ //


Of COURSE that's me. I'm not afraid of the red shirt. BRING it, Gorn! My phaser is set to kill... 

No comments:

Post a Comment